Geltoki is the name of the project that has been given to the area of the ticket offices and cafeteria of the Old Pamplona Bus Station (closed for 10 years), with the aim of promoting and being present in the centre of the city a "Space of social, solidarity and cultural economy".
This trip began a little over eight years ago at the initiative of a group of REAS Navarra entities that wanted to promote the solidarity economy and make it available to the citizens of Pamplona and Navarre. in November 2011 a motion was passed urging the City Council to launch a project of this type at the old bus station. In spite of the restrictions put in place by the municipal government, over the years Geltok continued to work hard to place itself in the position that it is in now. In 2016 the project was presented again to the City Council, but this time jointly by 12 entities. The government commission declared it to be of social interest, prepared the premises and put out a tender in November 2017 for the management of the space. This was awarded in March 2018 to the Geltoki Iruña Association, an entity created by five of the initial promoters and more than 20 entities as collaborators.
The Geltoki Iruña Association is made up of its initial 5 members: REAS Navarra, Emmaus ragpickers, EHNE, CPAEN and Artisan Foods.
What is it? What services does it offer?
It is a cultural space for the promotion of:
- Social and solidarity economy
- Food sovereignty
- Alternative Culture
- To develop a space for the promotion and dissemination of the social and solidarity economy as well as the principles of food sovereignty, which serves as a meeting point and exchange of new economic, social, labour and cultural relations, and has a social impact in terms of human relations and commitment to the environment.
- To carry out a self-sufficient and self-managed project, the profits of which are used entirely to finance activities for the promotion and dissemination of the social and solidarity economy.
- Generate synergies with other entities, contributing to the construction of the social fabric and promoting an open and plural project for groups and people who want to share and express initiatives committed to people in difficult situations and to the Earth.
- To promote a project committed to the social and environmental needs of the environment, both at a local level in the city of Pamplona-Iruña, as well as at a regional and European level.
- To promote a means of cultural promotion in coherence with the experience of previous generations, close to the human being, recovering and valuing the heritage of a solidary culture, such as craftsmanship, types of cultivation, exploitation of things or shared knowledge and that serves to renew traditional formulas of artistic exhibition and to develop other ways of action that are more participative, closer, alternative and in harmony with the citizenry.
- Generate a Laboratory of innovative experiences of initiatives linked to the Social and Solidarity Economy.
- To raise awareness, through the consumption of food in Navarre, of the reality of peoples, land and food sovereignty, which promotes the creation of a link between the city and the countryside of Navarre.
A very complete dossier on this initiative can be found here: https://www.economiasolidaria.org/sites/default/files/reasevent/attachments/DOSSIER
- Creating networks
- Local institution
- Social movement, social organisation