In December 2013, Pontevedra City Council launched the project La memoria de las mujeres (women's memory), with the aim of building, collectively and cooperatively, a collection of documents, graphics and audiovisual material on the history of women in Pontevedra.
It is based on the recognition of an unquestionable reality: the exclusion of women from historical narrative and official memory. It is also based on the need to correct this discrimination through the study of oral and written sources, as well as through the creation of a new story that would give prominence and visibility to the role of women in our municipality's and indeed in Galicia's history.
The objectives of the project are, therefore:
- To contribute to the knowledge and diffusion of the history of women in the territorial scope of the municipality of Pontevedra.
- To elaborate a fund for documents, graphics and audiovisuals that will be useful for information, consultation and research on the subject.
- To elaborate a virtual encyclopaedia on the lives of women in the municipality throughout the ages, seeking to make women visible in general and to specifically address the working classes.
- Promote the participation of educational centres in the study and dissemination of women in Pontevedra's history.
- Collaborate with all social agents working in this field.
- Use communication technologies to disseminate available materials and resources.
Among the activities carried out we find:
- Preparation of pamphlets, books, exhibitions, wall murals.
- Naming public spaces with women's names, placing commemorative plaques and signs, murals.
- Guided tours
Last updated: 2019
- Familiarising and reflecting
- Local institution